According to Universal Steel, metal roofing has gained immense popularity in recent years, and for good reason. With its durability, energy efficiency, and aesthetic appeal, it’s no wonder homeowners are opting for this roofing material.
Skylights are another feature that homeowners are increasingly drawn to. They serve both functional and aesthetic purposes. Functionally, skylights allow more natural light to permeate into the home, reducing reliance on artificial lighting and potentially cutting down on energy costs.
Aesthetically, they add an element of architectural interest, giving the home a modern, airy, and spacious feel. In addition, skylights can provide a view of the starlit sky or passing clouds, connecting the indoors with the natural world outside.
Benefits of Metal Roofing
The increase in popularity of metal roofing for residential usage is founded in its many benefits:
- Metal roofing is renowned for its longevity. Unlike traditional asphalt shingles that may need replacement every 15-20 years, metal roofs can easily last 50 years or more with proper maintenance. This longevity not only saves you money in the long run but also reduces the environmental impact of roofing materials.
- Metal roofing is exceptionally durable. Metal roofs can withstand harsh weather conditions, including heavy rain, snow, hail, and strong winds.
- They are also fire-resistant, providing an extra layer of safety for your home.
- Metal roofs reflect heat, keeping your home cooler in the summer and potentially lowering your energy bills.
- Beyond durability and energy efficiency, metal roofs come in various styles to suit your aesthetic preferences.
Types of Metal Roofing
There are a number of different types of metal roofing, but the most common are corrugated metal, standing seam metal, and metal shingles. Each of these roofing styles has its own unique characteristics, and the choice of skylights should complement them accordingly.
Corrugated Metal Roof
Corrugated metal roofing, with its wavy or ribbed pattern, is a classic choice that offers durability and affordability. When considering skylights for corrugated metal roofs, it’s essential to select options that integrate seamlessly with the roof’s profile.
For corrugated metal roofing, curb-mounted skylights are an excellent choice. These skylights are installed on a raised frame, or curb, which sits above the roof’s surface. Curb-mounted skylights create a watertight seal, ensuring that water doesn’t infiltrate your home during heavy rain or snow.
Additionally, these skylights can be customized to match the corrugated pattern of your roof, maintaining the roof’s aesthetics.
Standing Seam Metal Roof
Standing seam metal roofing is characterized by its distinctive vertical seams that run from the ridge to the eave of the roof. This roofing style is known for its sleek and modern appearance. When selecting skylights for a standing seam metal roof, it’s crucial to maintain the roof’s clean lines and contemporary design.
One popular choice for standing seam metal roofs is the flush-mounted skylight. These skylights sit flush with the roof’s surface, creating a seamless and streamlined look. They provide an unobstructed view of the sky while preserving the roof’s aesthetic appeal.
Flush-mounted skylights are often made from high-quality materials like low-emissivity glass, which helps regulate indoor temperatures and reduce energy costs.
Metal Shingles Roof
Metal shingles provide the appearance of traditional asphalt shingles while preserving the advantages of metal roofing. Their durability and energy efficiency surpass basic 3-tab asphalt shingles. When selecting skylights for a metal shingle roof, it’s crucial to opt for options that seamlessly blend in with the shingle pattern.
In this case, deck-mounted skylights are a suitable choice. These skylights are installed directly on the roof deck and are designed to integrate seamlessly with the shingle pattern. Deck-mounted skylights come in various sizes and shapes, allowing you to customize the amount of natural light entering your home.
Why Homeowners Want Skylights
The reasons for adding a skylight to your roof are as individual as every homeowner. The most common reasons that homeowners want skylights include:
Energy Efficiency and Natural Light
One of the primary reasons homeowners opt for skylights on their metal roofs is to enhance energy efficiency and introduce more natural light into their living spaces. Skylights not only brighten up rooms but also reduce the need for artificial lighting during the day, ultimately saving on electricity bills.
To maximize energy efficiency, consider skylights with energy-efficient glazing. Low-emissivity (low-e) coatings on skylight glass help control heat transfer, keeping your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Some skylights even come with built-in blinds or shades, allowing you to adjust the amount of sunlight entering your home as needed.
Ventilation and Fresh Air
In addition to providing natural light, skylights can also serve as ventilation sources. Venting skylights can be opened to allow fresh air to circulate through your home, improving indoor air quality and reducing the need for mechanical ventilation systems.
For metal roofs, specially designed venting skylights that integrate seamlessly with the roof’s profile are available. These skylights not only provide ventilation but also maintain the roof’s weatherproofing integrity.
Choosing the Right Skylight for Your Metal Roof
When selecting the right skylight for your metal roof, it’s crucial to consider both aesthetic and functional factors. The type of metal roofing you have will play a significant role in your decision. Curb-mounted skylights are ideal for corrugated metal roofs, while flush-mounted skylights complement standing seam metal roofs. Deck-mounted skylights work well with metal shingle roofs.
Additionally, consider the size and placement of the skylights to maximize natural light and ensure proper ventilation. Consult with a professional roofing contractor who has experience with skylight installations to ensure a seamless integration that maintains the integrity of your metal roof.
Installing Skylights on a Metal Roof
Installing skylights on a metal roof involves a systematic process that ensures the unit is securely mounted and properly sealed to prevent leaks. Here is an overview of the installation process:
- Planning and Marking: Determine the best location for the skylight, considering factors like the path of the sun, room layout, and existing roof structures. Once the placement is decided, mark the area on the roof where the skylight will be installed.
- Cutting the Opening: Use a circular saw or reciprocating saw to cut the opening in the roof for the skylight. This should be done carefully to avoid damaging the roof’s structure.
- Framing the Opening: After the hole is cut, the opening needs to be framed to create the “curb” on which the skylight will rest. This involves adding headers and trimmers to the roof joists to support the weight of the skylight.
- Installing the Skylight: Place the skylight onto the curb. Use roofing screws to secure the skylight to the curb, ensuring it’s level and flush with the roof’s surface.
- Sealing and Flashing: Apply a roofing sealant around the perimeter of the skylight to create a watertight seal. Install flashing around the skylight to divert water away and prevent leaks. For metal roofs, flashing must conform to the roof’s profile for a secure fit.
- Testing: Once the installation is complete, it’s important to test the skylight for leaks. This can be done by simulating rain conditions and checking for any water intrusion.
Remember, skylight installation on a metal roof requires knowledge and experience in roofing work. It’s recommended to hire a professional roofer to ensure proper installation and avoid potential complications.
In conclusion, skylights can be a valuable addition to your metal roof, enhancing energy efficiency, providing natural light, and improving indoor air quality. The key to a successful skylight installation is choosing the right type of skylight that complements your metal roofing style while considering energy efficiency and ventilation needs. With the right skylights, you can enjoy all the benefits of a metal roof while bringing the beauty of the outdoors into your home.
The Best Roofing Company in Florida and Georgia
When you need roofing services in Sarasota, Lakeland, or southern Georgia, contact the experienced professionals at Stronghold Roofing & Solar. We are here to guide you through every step of the process, whether you need roof installation, repairs, or maintenance.
FAQ’s – Skylights & Metal Roofs
You can install a skylight on a metal roof, but it’s essential to choose the right type of skylight that complements your roofing style and ensure proper installation by a professional roofer.
Skylights can enhance energy efficiency, provide natural light, improve indoor air quality, and add aesthetic appeal to your home. They can also potentially increase the resale value of your property.
Skylights designed specifically for metal roofs are available, and it’s recommended to use these for proper integration and weatherproofing.
While it’s possible to install a skylight yourself, it’s recommended to hire a professional roofer with experience in skylight installations. Improper installation can lead to leaks and other complications.